End of Days Review


End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days #3)
by Susan Ee
Publish Date: May 12, 2015
Publisher: Skyscape
     After a daring escape from the angels, Penryn and Raffe are on the run. They’re both desperate to find a doctor who can reverse the twisted changes inflicted by the angels on Raffe and Penryn's sister. As they set off in search of answers, a startling revelation about Raffe's past unleashes dark forces that threaten them all.
     When the angels release an apocalyptic nightmare onto humans, both sides are set on a path toward war. As unlikely alliances form and strategies shift, who will emerge victorious? Forced to pick sides in the fight for control of the earthly realm, Raffe and Penryn must choose: Their own kind, or each other?

     Was this an epic conclusion? Not really. It didn't blow the previous books out the water, but it wasn't terrible. I really liked it and it was full of action and badasses.
     Is the book overhyped? Kind of. The writing is great at times and average the other. The story however is very original and interesting. I guarantee that you haven't read this story before, which I really like. It's fresh unlike most YA books that stem from: Vampire Academy, The Mortal Instruments, Percy Jackson, or any other mainstream book.
     There's one reason why I liked the books, Penryn. I'll tell you why.
     Do you remember reading about moonstruck girls in the middle of an apocalypse? If so, didn't you just hate it? Well Penryn isn't like that. She knows she sounds and acts in that atrocious, unbefitting mannerism, so she stops before she goes contemporary on our asses.
     Do you remember reading about girls who need a man to fight for them and protect them? Raise your hand.
     I know this feeling all too well! PENRYN IS A BAD-ASS BITCH THAT CAN PROTECT HERSELF! She doesn't need a man! FEMINISM!
     Penryn is not the only girl in this book who can protect herself. Her family is just amazing. They are fierce, protective, intelligent, great leaders, so strong, and just AMAZING women. I have read a lot of books with so called "badass heroines", but they do not compare to the Young family. They're literally a family of Athenas!
     Okay, no more preachy feminism talk...
     The action...this book is FULL of action. There are things you don't really expect to happen. It gave me a lot of oh my God moments. But, some of these action scenes weren't my favorite. Sure, some are bloody and written well, but there are some which were snooze-fests. Mini battles are boring. God, I sound like a blood-thirsty American!
     What you can expect from this book is a lot more Penryn and Raffe moments. They're cute and make me smile, but all that flirtation/making out/groping/fondling is not appropriate in their situation.
     Even though this book is about the end of the world and fighting, the author keeps it light with certain lines. It gave me JLA vibes. I love JLA. She mixes doomsday with humor and pop culture references. Susan Ee did the same and I just love it.
Favorite Line/Stood Out the Most:
     If I were a human, I'd plow the nicest farm for you. Better than anyone else's. It would have golden pineapples, the juiciest grapes, and the most flavorful radishes in the entire world."
     I know that it isn't the best time to say this cute, romantic crap, but seriously, it made me laugh. It lightened the dark, gloomy, depressing mood. Plus, Raffe is so sweet.
     The twins also kept the story really light, but they made long, slightly frequent appearances. It really distracted the story. The author spent so much time and effort building the tension and then the twins appear! It was like I was transported to a comedy club, instead of post-apocalyptic San Francisco.
     If you're wondering if you should read this book, GO! It has action and slight romantic undertones. It's very enjoyable. This last books gave me Breaking Dawn: Part 2 vibes. Yes, I was specific about which part! The angels were a cooler version of the Volturi and the humans were a more bloodthirsty version of the Cullens/other vampires. I know, surprising! Humans being more bloodthirsty than Vampires.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!