The Natural Order


The Natural Order
Author: R.J. Vickers
Publish Date: June 1, 2015
     Tristan Fairholm is one of 15 juvenile delinquents selected to learn magic-for a purpose that is kept secret from them. When they at last learn that the magic they have harvested causes death and ruin in a bid to keep the world from collapse, they must make a choice: do they fight it? Or do they use it?

     Surprise surprise. Another one bites the dust at 59%
     I wanted to finish this book for the sake of finishing a book. This book is one of the many books that I have DNF'd one after another.
     The reason why I DNF'd this book is because I had problems with it-I always have problems with books and other stuff.
     When I began the book, I thought it was Narnia meets Hogwarts with hints of Orange is the New Black. That's a recipe for awesome, but I was let down.
     The 60% that I read was boring. It didn't get better. I think it was the writing that bored me.
     The writing isn't terrible. It had its fortes and it weaknesses. The descriptions were great. When I was reading the descriptions, I was transported to this "Hogwarts." But, the interactions and inner dialogue were just meh and boring. There were petty arguments and insufferable characters.
     I found Leila whiny and needy. I was annoyed by Tristan because he became this man servant/doormat. Evie bats her eyelashes, gives a command, and he does it. There was no background to this behavior. I get that he pities her and wants to protect her, but I don't understand why he becomes this "lapdog."
     Oh yeah, the magic........ (the ellipses convey my emotions and thoughts)
     The magic concept in this book is incredibly original, but (there's always a but) it's weird. The magic requires you to destroy something in order to access magic. In school, the student learn to create magic by burning things. I was scared that everyone was going to go magic crazy and become a bunch of pyromaniacs. The concept is explained clearly and well thought out.
     In the end, I was not engaged whatsoever by this book. It not memorable. It had a great story, but it was slow and wordy with a boring development.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!