COHO RELEASED A BOOK FOR FREE: *FANGIRLS A BIT*



Too Late by Colleen Hoover
WattPad | March 30, 2016
Reaction: Oh lord... You need some Jesus. (Says the Atheist)
          Sloan will go through hell and back for her little brother. And she does, every single night.
          Forced to remain in a relationship with the dangerous and corrupt Asa Jackson, Sloan will do whatever it takes to make sure her brother has what he needs.
          Nothing will get in her way.
          Nothing except Carter.
          Sloan is the only good thing to ever happen to Asa. He knows this and he never plans on letting her go; even if she doesn't approve of his lifestyle. But despite Sloan's disapproval, Asa knows what it takes to get what he wants. He knows what he needs to do to remain on top.
          Nothing will get in his way.
          Nothing except Carter.
When I was reading this book all I was thinking was, What Banks song do I put in my review? All her songs capture the story.
While reading, I also noted how this book was grittier than CoHo's other books. (Most of CoHo's books are "fluffy" with that little something I call The Colleen Hoover Effect. This adds a little darkness to her books.) This book was a lot darker than Ugly Love and Never Never. This book is totally something Tarryn Fisher would write, I still haven't read anything by her.

This book is extremely mature, just putting that out there. There's... I'm just gonna let you experience all that yourself.

The two main characters are Sloan and Carter. As always, these are the love interests and we see their relationship develop. But, Sloan has a nasty-crusty-shitty-ass boyfriend name, shit I forgot his name... Asa! Not Asa Butterfield :(
When the two [Sloan and Carter] were introduced, I was entertained by their banter. It was really easy going. They sounded like two bros chilling on the couch, drinking beers, watching a hand-egg/"football" game in their jerseys. But, it was also flirty. I thought the random sentences they wrote to each other were cute and it added a light to the darkness.

Now I get to talk about Asa!

I have to admit, I liked Asa on certain occasions. Like Sloan, I was touched when he was vulnerable. I loved it when he took off his douche-y facade and revealed his fucked up past. His story... It doesn't justify how terrible he is, but it provided insight on why he is the way he is. I loved his mind! He was psychologically intriguing. I even made him a psychological profile and analyzed him! (He has mommy and daddy issues, along with (spoiler: highlight) schizophreniaBack to why he's a douche-canoe. He's a misogynistic, chauvinistic pig! He has this perverse idea of gender roles. He says men can cheat, but women can't and justifies it with the most ludicrous and enraging reasoning. He's so fucking sexist. He also treats Sloan like shit, hence my song choice. He trapped her and lied to her. (I picture a relationship to be perfect, but with a few fights here and there. This is probably because I never dated and have this weird and "ideal" relationship.) I hated him for putting Sloan through so much shit. He tossed her around like a rag doll. She deserves so much better. People should not be treated like shit in relationships! People shouldn't be treated like shit in general.

This is where I start ripping Carter to shreds:

HE'S TOO PERFECT. THE WORDS HE SAID! SO UNREALISTIC! Only in romance books... I thought it was cheesy. Most people will swoon when they read his words, but I'm just
Winifred is my spirit animal. He delivers some monologues. But, this is the one that made me the most irritated:

"I don't want to fuck you, I want to make love to you"

Just no...PLEASE STOP His romantic monologues made him sound like a wise man in a young man's body. If he was more awkward and "speechless", don't make him mute like Archer's Voice, just make him have trouble conveying his emotions. It's more realistic and I find it endearing.

Didn't really get/enjoy the plot. A girl is trying to break free from her volatile relationship, but she finds meaningful relationship while escaping. It takes something dark, but makes it "fluffy". Why can't the book just be about a girl, who is trying to break free and overcome her volatile relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!