CONCLUSION OF TMI | REVIEW



City of Heavenly Fire (TMI #6)
by Cassandra Clare
Margaret K. McElderry | May 27, 2014

         Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.
         The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris-but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?
         When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee-even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

I've mentioned this before, and I'll mention it again, there are too many points of view! I would have liked to have one character's perspective for the entire chapter. Clare's view shifts provide depth and insight, which is great, but it seems every character gets to speak. There's this cacophony of voices, and it detracts from the plot flow. The plot also could have been more fast paced and shorter. I enjoyed rereading the story, but some places dragged on.

I was expecting this book to be the conclusion, so when Clare introduced the Los Angeles Institution, I was a bit angry. Readers are introduced to the LA Institute in the prologue, and I disliked it for two reasons. One being it was slow and unenjoyable, and two being that the series isn't over. Dedicated fans of the series will rejoice over the spin-off, but I'm fed-up. The Infernal Devices, which I did not read, tied into this book. I felt, somewhat, forced to read it so I could understand the plot more. The Mortal Instruments sets up The Bane Chronicles, The Infernal Devices, and The Dark Artifices. No offense, but Cassandra Clare is milking it for all it's worth.

I sound like I'm criticizing over minuscule details, but I have the utmost respect for Clare. This is one of my first ventures in young-adult fiction, so it's sentimental. I may not like it as I once did, but it still holds value. 

Throughout the series, I saw a lot of character growth in Clary, and other characters. She's thrown into this strange world, uncovers secrets, and faces challenges. She was somewhat dense when we first met her, but she's thrown into the shadow world, and she becomes mentally and physically stronger. In this installment, she has grown into a fierce and formidable warrior, though I wish to have seen her crack somewhere in the series. Jace is, for the most part, a douche. But, we see him vulnerable, and the vulnerability makes him stronger. He fights his inner demons and questions who he is. I think that a lot of people relate to him because we all put up this strong front to protect ourselves, and we are afraid of being hurt by other. I think Clare created incredibly realistic, human, and lovable characters.

Although this series is over-hyped, it has a rich plot, and each event is premeditated. Clare carefully crafts her story with every word, and it is quite beautiful. The world she creates is ingenious and pulls from many cultures. She has the power of transporting you to places and capturing details about your hometown that you never realized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!